Friday, December 27, 2013

Got to talk to our missionary in person this week :)  We all thought he looked very good.....we love that smile....We felt bad because the mail was pretty slow and he didn't have any christmas presents from his family to open up..:(    Boy, I felt so bad..... He is doing great but says the work is slow....That can get discouraging at  times.....We are proud of his positive attitude and willingness to serve.  He sent us a couple of papers with his Christmas presents and I wanted to have it written down somewhere....He and Elder White wrote this when they served together in Covington....We had a few laughs as we read this.  He also sent one of his favorite poems about being a missionary.....cuz it tells it like it is I guess..:)   Hope you enjoy reading both of them.   We love our missionary and can't wait until Mother's Day to skype again.

 
     Ghetto Ball for Dummies (Mormon Missionaries):

    General Guidelines for Ghetto Ball
   *Get a tat to fit in
    *Forget everything you've ever learned about BBall
    *Keep track of the score in your head because they will try to change it
    *Don't get discouraged if you're the last pick because of the color of your skin...(exceptions: most of the         time the people you have come with is your team)
    *Shirts are optional
    *When in doubt, pull it
    *Assists don't matter
    *In Ghetto Ball there is an "I" in team
    *No blood, no foul
    *Shoot it every chance you get
    *Be as fancy as you can
    *Don't bring money to a Ghetto Ball game, they will hustle you out of it
    *Don't underestimate anyone by their age or size
    *It doesn't matter how high you can jump because they can jump higher
    *You make it, you take it
    *If you have not received the following you didn't play a real game of ghetto ball:  untucked shirt, bruises,       black eye, fat lip, blisters on feet, cuts, strained muscles, chipped tooth, throbbing pain somewhere on
    your body
 
IMPORTANT:  show no signs of weakness because they already think you are a sissy

WAYS TO KNOW YOU ARE NOT PLAYING REAL GHETTO BBALL:  less than 30 swear words said in 1 game......more white people than black people.......if at least 1 person does not have a tear drop tattoo.......full court game or 5 on 5.....play a game to more than 15

ALSO IMPORTANT:  
   *If you lose more than 3 times in a row, never go back
   *Don't schedule pick-up games because they won't show up
   *If they say yes to a pick-up game by text don't get too excited.....chances are they will flake out on you


He sent us a copy of a poem that he really likes:
 
Highs-n-Lows  By Jack L Brinkerhoff

A mission is a strange experience.
It's a trial and a test.
A mission throws at you the worst,
yet teaches you the best.

They told me this would be the best period of my life.
But I guess they didn't explain it all too clear.
I came out looking for a bed of roses.
I just wasn't expecting all the thorns I've found out here.

Since I've been out I've never been so happy.
I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken.
I've never felt so blessed.

I've never been so confused.
My mind has never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant.
I've never felt him so near.

I've never been so discouraged.
I've never been so full of hope.
I feel like I can go forever.
I think I've come to the end of my rope.

I've never had is so easy.
I've never had it so tough.
Things have never gone so smoothly.
Things have never been so rough.

I've never traveled through more valleys.
I've never ascended so many peaks.
I've never met so many neat people.
I've never met so many freaks.

I've never had so many ups.
I've never had so may downs.
I've never worn so many smiles.
I've never worn so many frowns

I've never been so lonely.
I've never had so many friends.
Man, I hope this is all over with soon.
Gosh, I hope it never ends.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment